Saturday, January 19, 2008

FLAC you MSCOMCTL.OCX!

Seen this?
Component 'MSCOMCTL.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid
Currently it's the FLAC frontend giving me this, uh, flack. You can tell that project is made, maintained, and distributed people who try to avoid "M$ Windows" whenever possible, because their helpful suggestions to download and install some form of VB Run-Time and/or Common Controls is, uh, not helping!

Apparently the Visual Basic run-time was dropped from Windows XP in SP2 and has been conspicuously absent ever since. I'm sure it was security related and Microsoft will do what it takes to save face on this front, they've been beaten up pretty bad. Whatever the true reason, my system is without MSCOMCTL.OCX, and FLAC refuses to run without it.

Honestly, shouldn't they have simply made a nice Windows Media Codec? Lossless indeed, I think I've lost some sanity.

7 comments:

skorasaurus said...

Did you ever figure out how to fix this ? If so, how ? I'm in the same situation right now too.

Neil C. Obremski said...

Nope, I ended up finding MP3 versions of the same files on BitTorrent. I did install ffdshow recently though, and it looks like it supports FLAC (e.g. after installing you should be able to play them in Windows Media Player).

szabi said...

Just download the ocx file and put it into FLAC's install directory.

Anonymous said...

As an extension to szabi's comment.

If you want an official download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=25437d98-51d0-41c1-bb14-64662f5f62fe

You can then open the file in some sort of archiving suite (or maybe install, but I like being light) such as WinRAR.

Instructions in WinRAR:
Select MSCOMCTL.OCX and click "Extract To" choose "C:\Program Files\FLAC" (or wherever you installed it to) and extract there.

Then try running.

Jim Dier said...

Check these out for a solution that worked for me on Windows 7.

Note that I had to run my extraction program by right clicking and choosing "run as administrator" then I had to do the same when I ran the FLAC installer.

Now FLAC works.

http://www.allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=95367

http://majorgeeks.com/faqshow.php?id=8

Anonymous said...

thanks szabi, that worked.

Anonymous said...

Installing SpywareBlaster 5.0 installs the required mscomctl.ocx -- after which FLAC Frontend will work fine.
.
SpywareBlaster 5.0 is a well-known basic system protector used globally.