- Download ConvertLIT and extract its ZIP contents into the same directory as your LIT file(s). Thus you should end up with clit.exe (yes, ha ha, funny), LitConverter.exe, and some other files.
- Next you'll need to explode the LIT file, e.g. extract its contents. It's basically a container, like a ZIP archive, which contains multiple files within it. I like to use the command-line to do this so here's those instructions:
- Open a command prompt.
- Change to the directory with the LIT file.
- Enter: clit.exe filename.lit exploded/
You'll end up with a directory (named exploded if you followed the instructions above) full of HTML, images, and importantly an OPF file (an Open eBook Package File).
- Install Mobipocket Creator, a utility for creating PRC files.
- Double-click the OPF file in the exploded directory (or whatever name you chose); this will launch Mobipocket Creator. Chances are everything is in basically the right order so at this point all you need to do is click Build and you're done!
- Lastly, plug your Kindle into your computer and copy the PRC (it will have the same base name as the OPF) you created into its documents directory.
Hopefully the number of steps will go down as better utilities come out!